Fairbanks, Indiana 47849
This is a picture of a Stevens steam engine and Stevens
separator built in Wisconsin about 1902. It was used on a farm in
Sullivan County, Indiana, two miles southeast of Fairbanks, about
Pictured left to right: with the threshing rig, John Mulligan,
Don Starkey, Wakely Milligan; Clay Jewel and Ben Frakes on the
water wagon. Not in the picture, but a member of the crew, was Gene
Wakely Milligan with co-owner, son-in-law Clay Jewel, had the
threshing run and sawmill for many years. Clay Jewel used the steam
engine for road construction between 1915 and 1919. Also, he used
the steam engine to ‘sink’ the Scott City coal mine west of
Shelburn, Indiana, Sullivan County, in 1909. Note the steam dome is
to the rear of the Stevens engine, very unusual place for the steam
John Milligan, son of Wakely Milligan, with his wife and two
children, moved to a large ranch in Oelrichs, South Dakota in 1912,
where they lived the rest of their lives.
Wakely Milligan was a son-in-law of Henry Johnson and
Henry’s family were pioneers of Fairbanks Township.
Gene Ransford with his son Edward and Don Starkey operated a
threshing machine and sawmill from 1918 to 1968.
Loren Higbee and family, great grandson of Henry Johnson and
grandson of Wakely Milligan still resides on part of the farm. The
land is now rented by Henry Johnson’s great-great-grandson,
Bruce Ransford, son of Edward Ransford.