THE WILLIAMS GROVE STEAM ENGINE ASSOCIATION SHOW


| November/December 1960



40-62 Huber Tractor

Mr. Frank Miller of La Cross and his 1923 40-62 Huber that he has restored.

Forty-five thousand persons in one day, and a total of 150,000 for nine days of show staged by the Williams Grove Steam Engine Association was the astonishing record set for the second annual exhibit of the group before and over the Labor Day weekend.

Organized in March 1959, the association grew amazingly and was able to put on its first show over Labor Day of that year in connection with the famous Grangers Picnic at Williams Grove, Pa. Interest in the activity was evidenced by the late Roy E. Richwine, Sr. and his son Roy E., Jr. who cooperated in the staging of the exhibit.

Again this year the senior Mr. Richwine indicated his faith in the project by approving the erection of a permanent building to be operated by the association on the fairgrounds. This structure was in the course of construction at the time of Mr. Richwine's sudden death. It was finished under the direction of his son who labored long hours to assure its use during the show.

A total of 21 steam traction engines of many makes and sizes; 5 portable engines, one steam roller and one steam shovel participated in the program of activities which included threshing grain, running sawmill, shinglemill, stone crusher, and in pulling contests, plus teeter-totter balancing. There were also 7 model steam traction engines, several of which had just been completed before the show, which drew an immense amount of attention. A fine display of miniature steam engines, plus models of old-time farm equipment, were an added attraction.

Special programs during the nine days of the show included an 'Antique Car Day' the first Sunday and a 'Horse and Buggy Day' the second Sunday. In between the permanently-placed sawmill was in operation as was the shingle mill, stone crusher, steam shovel and at least two of the six fully equipped threshing rigs on the grounds. Seven acres of grain was threshed as a part of the program.

Crowds milled through the partially completed museum building which was loaded with displays and housed a trading post operated by Maurice Shoffner and a blacksmith shop run by Sam Osborne, who shoed horses as hundreds looked on. Old time horse-drawn vehicles of all descriptions, mostly owned by Sam Osborne and Ed Yeager, were on display and many used in the 'Horse and Buggy Day' program which featured over 150 head of horses plus exhibits by several riding clubs. The show was managed by Ed Yeager and Leo Zeigler.