Courtesy of John Hays, 1511 Iglehart Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota 55104 A 28 Hp. Minneapolis owned by the Budenski Brothers of West Concord, Minnesota. It is shown operating a lumber saw owned by Axley Brothers of Eyota, Minnesota. Engineer, Ray Magnuson,
1511 Iglehart Avneue St. Paul, Minn. 55104
The 1968 Zumbro Thresher's Association reunion was held August 31 and September 1 and 2 in co-operation with the Budenski brothers on their farm, the show area.
The farm is located among gentle rolling hills about eight miles south west of Wanamingo and about the same distance northeast of West Concord, in a typical productive farming area of Minnestoa.
The location where the show is held is ideal. It comprises about eight acres of beautiful level blue grass pasture, bounded on the west by a healthy stream from which water is pumped for the steam engines, and for cooling the oil and gas tractors and gas engines.
The farm buildings are located on a low hill directly north of the show area. Here a large red basement barn stands with its new paint glistening in the sun and the white farm house in the background half abscured by large shade trees, along with other buildings, make up?
This is the four hundred and forty acre home site of Edward, Robert and Albert Budenski, all bachelors who live together.
The show this year, not unlike this annual event of other years, held a variety of entertainment for the people who attended. Since 1955, when the first one was staged, it has become one of the leading steam and antique farm machinery exhibits, not only of Minnesota, but of surrounding states.
Saturday, August 31st, was a day for getting entires located in respective positions, and for getting things going. Sunday drew the largest crowd, followed by a slightly smaller turnout on Labor Day.
Each day offered interesting attractions. Axley Bros. of Eyotta, Minnesota were on hand with their lumber saw powered by various steam and gas tractors.
Steam traction engines and big gas tractors took turns on the Baker fan.
Plowing was done in a nearby stubble field by steam engines and heavy antique gas tractors alternately pulling an eight-bottom steam plow. A smaller antique model pulled four plows.
Loads of oat bundles hauled on old fashioned rack wagons were threshed with a steel Red River Special 36 inch cylinder separator powered by steam traction engines and big Minneapolis and Avery tractors. Smaller tractors furnished power for threshing with a twenty-two inch cylinder John Deere separator. Both threshers are owend by the Budenskis.
Other than the threshing, lumber sawing and plowing, eighteen antique tractors and an exhibit of assorted gas engines from 10 horse-power down to 11/2 all running at the same time, drew curi-inquiring people.
Gang, sulky and walking plows were exhibited. Implement dealers displayed chain saws and other light farm equipment.
As an added feature this year, horses brought new action to the scene. Plowing along with the steam and gas tractors, Walt Schaffer of Owatonna drove three fine sorrel draft horses hitched to a sulky plow. In between plowing demonstrations, he hitched two horses to a wide topped farm wagon, giving rides to youngsters.
On Sunday, Septmeber 1, Lloyd Hanson demonstrated with a hitch of young Percheron adn Belgian horses. Drawing a show wagon and wearing harnesses valued at sixteen hundred dollars, they appeared in full horse show regalia.
The parade, which climaxed the show each day, was made up of over twenty-six units which included five steam traction engines and eighteen antique tractors. Along with other entires in the parade, Mr. Schaffer drove his team and wagon with a load of happy young folks.
The Budenski Brothers showed two Minneapolis engines that were real beauties. Like all of their machinery, they are well painted and clean of grime and grease.
One of these engines is a 28 horse- power. The engineer, Ray Magnuson of Emerson, Nebraska, owns one just like it at his home. Ray's brother Harold, also from Emerson, is as he terms it, the 'Water Monkey'. His job is to keep water supplied for the thirsty engine boilers.
The other Minneapolis, a 20 horsepower, was in fine condition and looked like it had just arrived from the factory. Walter Gasch of Colby, Wisconsin, was the engineer.
Other steam engines in the parade were two Advance engines a and Port Huron, all owned by the Budenskis.
The eighteen gas tractors ranged in size from a 45-65 horsepower Avery and 35-70 Minneapolis down to a 10-20 Titan
After the parade, in an interview with Edward Budenski, he mentioned at least seven steam traction engines which they had bought and restored.
Gas tractors they purchased, included a 35-70 Minneapolis later sold to Irven Harris and sons. Tom Cropper of the same city bought a 22-44 Minneapolis from them.
Later they purchased a 25-50 Avery from Horseless Carriage Museum, Valley Spring, South Dakota; from a farm junk pile near Cannon Falls, Minnesota, they rescued and fully restored a 12-25 Avery. Both of these two Avery tractors have stack radiators. The Budenskis own a 15-30 International tractor powered with a four cylinder engine. The cylinders are in a horizontal position with a carburetor for each cylinder. They own a one-half interest in a 15-30 Oil Pull with Levern Lentz of Pine Island. A 45-65 Avery is the big boy of their tractor collection. Other small tractors in their possession, include three John Deere Model D's.
At the reunion of August 31 and September 1 and 2, the large valuable collection of farm machinery no doubt created the greatest admiration of all who attended. Whether the display or the demonstrations attracted the crowd, all who came pronounced it a huge success.