Tri-State Historical Steam Engine Association, Inc.
On September 28, 1957, one hundred interested persons attended a steam threshing day staged by M. Dean Fullerton at his farm near Burgettstown, Pa. Three engines and a thresher and baler and a fan were used throughout the day for the entertainment of those in attendance. The event was held again in 1958 and rain held the crowd to a minimum.
On September 25-26, 1959, a somewhat different scene took place. With eleven engines and splendid weather for two days, about 2500 people from the tri-state area witnessed what was considered to be one of the finest demonstrations of its kind ever held in this district. The event marked the third annual reunion of the Tri-State Historical Steam Engine Association.
Ample parking facilities, a lunch stand and two well-planned days of activities afforded the throng in attendance a very enjoyable time. Daily demonstrations of threshing, baling, sawing, feed grinding and silo filling, all with steam power, kept the crowd amazed at the ease with which these old farm implements performed their work as it was done many years ago. A fan and daily parades of all equipment added to the entertainment. In addition, old time tractors and several small stationary and model engines were in operation.
The engines were of both the traction and portable type and included such names as Frick, Baker, Port Huron, Keck-Gonnerman, Advance-Rumely, Scheidler, Huber and Case. Old time tractors shown were Oil-Pull, IHC Titan and Waterloo Boy. Threshers shown were Frick, Huber and Geiser. An 8? x 10 Frick Portable engine kept the sawmill in operation throughout the show and a Buhr mill was used in grinding feed. A 50 Case shown was the same engine that made the parade route through the downtown and North-side streets of Pittsburgh on June 13 during the huge Bi-Centennial Parade.
The officers and directors of the Association were well pleased with the fine support given by those who attended and the successful venture assured the continuation of even bigger and better Reunions for the future. They wish to commend the Mt. Pleasant Farm Women's Society who furnished food to the large number in attendance. Membership in the association continues to swell the rolls and a bright future is forecast for the newly-formed organization.
Officers of the Association are: President, C. R. Fullerton; Vice-President, C. H. Lightfoot; Secretary, Paul F. Crow; Treasurer, Leo G. Whaley. In addition, are the following directors: Tracy Lewton, John Herron, M. Dean Fullerton, Earl Hamilton, John Sell, Paul Kabo, Glenn Fullerton and H. T. Fleming.