WESTERN ONTARIO STEAM CLUB PROJECT


| November/December 1980



Engine

Charles A. Keberly

9162 Hartel, Livonia, Michigan 48150

This was the scene looking through the opening in the roof as workmen get the engine ready to be lifted out of the engine house. Photo by Charles A. Keberly, 9162 Hartel, Livonia, Michigan 48150.

The huge flywheel is lowered onto the float. In the background is the wood shavings sawdust separator.

The Western Ontario Steam Threshers have been busy since early spring restoring a 100 HP stationary steam engine that was donated to the club. Exact age of the engine is unknown, but the builder's plate is stamped: The Jerome Wheelock System, patented May 25, 1886 and Feb. 10, 1980. It was built by the Goldie and McCulloch Company Ltd., of Galt, Ontario and is numbered 1142.

The engine was donated by the Belton Lumber Company, Ltd., of Sarnia, Ontario. They originally donated the engine to the Optimist Club of Sarnia but the Optimist Club decided to give the engine to the Western Ontario Steam Threshers.

Although the engine changed ownership, it was yet to be removed from the building where it was originally installed nearly a century ago. Getting the engine out of the building was handled as a club project this past April. Many non-members also volunteered their time and equipment. A large portion of the engine house roof was removed to get the engine out of the building. Even then the size of the engine did not allow removing it from the building in one piece. The flywheel, which measures almost 12 feet in diameter, was separated from the engine and then it was hoisted out through the roof opening with a large crane. Next came the main body of the engine which also was lifted out through the roof opening.