Classic Oliver Tractors chronicles this historic agricultural brand from when James Oliver bought a quarter-share of the South Bend Foundry in 1855 to when the last Oliver-branded tractor rolled off the assembly line in 1976. The Oliver Corporation’s roots run deep in the agricultural industry. This once small company started with a young man and an idea that would lighten the load of the farmer. Through the years the company grew and acquired other companies with the same philosophy until nearly a dozen companies operating under the Oliver flag became a strong force in the farm market.
This new account of Oliver’s history includes its industrial and crawler tractors, implements, international ventures, and the various products that carried the Oliver badge. Vintage advertisements, brochures, and both color and black-and-white photos (alongside contemporary color images) illustrate this compelling part of agriculture’s history.