Yes, we are here!

In times like these our hobbies become lifesavers. At GAS ENGINE MAGAZINE and FARM COLLECTOR, we have been tracking down the most interesting and rare vintage farm machines and collections for more than 80 years combined! That includes researching and sourcing the best books on collectibles available anywhere. Our online store is open and we are here to answer any questions you might have. Our customer service staff is available Monday through Friday from 8a.m.-5p.m. CDT. We can be reached at 1-866-624-9388 or by email. Stay safe!

Was This Set of Tools Made for Use on Anvils?

| 5/14/2013 12:06:51 PM

Tags: ,

Tools for an Anvil 

Was this set of tools made for use on anvils? The flat piece with the square holes can be held in place on the anvil with the anvil tool through the 3/4-inch square opening into the square opening on the anvil. I have a 200-pound anvil with a 1-inch square opening. This will not fit on my anvil. I have tried this on a smaller anvil and it works. The flat piece is 1-1/2 inches wide, 12 inches long, 3/8-inch thick with seven square openings ranging from 3/4-inch to 3/8-inch and three round openings of 5/16-inch, 1/4-inch and 3/16-inch.

The name “Chas. I. Cline” is stamped onto the flat piece. The three vice-type holders fit into the square opening 5/8-inch and 1/2-inch and are very sturdy. The large one measures 8-1/2 inches long, the next one measures 9-1/2 inches long and the small one measures 4-1/2 inches long. The small one is clamped in the jaws of the other two. Maybe someone could shed some light on this set for me.

Eddie Spengler, Box 42, 530 Main St., New Liberty, IA 52765; (563) 843-2374

Jess Prater
6/26/2013 10:43:09 PM

The center top item is a blacksmith's anvil. The bottom center anvil is a hand anvil used by gunsmiths and watch repairmen.

Jeremy Davis
6/26/2013 9:59:57 PM

The square hole on your anvil is the hardie hole. It is used for holding tools. The vise on the right fits it. Anvilfire has a good explanation.

6/26/2013 3:56:28 PM

The piece on the left with the square hole is a nail maker. Slightly wider at the top "snips" of hot metal are tapped through the piece. Allowed to cool and driven out from the bottom. Now you have a square nail!


Farm Collector April 16Farm Collector is a monthly magazine focusing on antique tractors and all kinds of antique farm equipment. If it's old and from the farm, we're interested in it!

Save Even More Money with our SQUARE-DEAL Plan!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our SQUARE-DEAL automatic renewal savings plan. You'll get 12 issues of Farm Collector for only $24.95 (USA only).

Or, Bill Me Later and send me one year of Farm Collector for just $29.95.

Facebook Pinterest YouTube


click me