Allis-Chalmers Hobby Hooks Father and Sons


| June 2009



Allis-Chalmers D-19

More than a pretty face: This Allis-Chalmers D-19 is no stranger to fieldwork. The Frederick trio believes strongly in using their restored relics.

Austin Frederick

About three years ago my dad, brother and I decided to get a hobby.

Dad thought old tractors and machinery might be fun. We also wanted to make some small deer plots by our woods. So Dad went to Wausau, Wis., and bought a 1962 Allis-Chalmers D-17 Series II. We never really intended to restore it, but somehow that’s what happened. I’m 18 years old. I’ve been helping my dad and brother restore AC tractors and implements for two years, and I really love it.

We use the tractors regularly. We fix them up, give them a good coat of paint and then we use them. They look like brand new and run like brand new, but we still take them out to do some work. That’s what Allis-Chalmers built them to do and that’s what we are going to use them for. We do take them to local parades and show them off. We’re thinking about taking one to this year’s Orange Spectacular.

Tackling a D-19

Our second restoration project was a 1963 Allis-Chalmers D-19 gas tractor. We bought it two years ago for $1,500. The tractor was a great deal, but there was also a great deal of work to do on it. The rear main seal leaked, the power director jumped out of high range, the PTO seal leaked really badly and the transmission needed some work.

In October 2007, we got the D-19 in the shop right after we got the D-17 out. The first thing we wanted to tackle was the transmission. The main pinion bearing was out and it was making noises. To do that meant removing the braking mechanism, bull gears, differential and rear axles.

The most agonizing part of fixing the D-19 was trying to get the rear hubs off. It was two weeks of torching the hubs till they were cherry red and then just hitting them with hammers till they freed up. Eventually we got them off and then it took no time at all to get the transmission apart and then put it all back together again.

The power director also gave us some problems, as the rollers were bad. Some were worn out and did not snap in place. The last major problem was a lack of oil pressure: The rear main seal was out, a problem we weren’t aware of when we bought the tractor. We discovered it when we went to spread manure and engine oil poured out of the clutch inspection hole. We had a new seal put in there and in every compartment that we opened, just to make sure.