R. D. 1,Box 470, Charleroi, Pennsylvania 15022.
Well, after two rain-soaked years, we slipped one over on
old-man weather. On September 24, 25, at Hookstown Fair Grounds,
with near-perfect weather prevailing, we had our best show in
several years. A well-organized program, and numerous pieces of
machinery were ready for the large crowd that came out to see the
show. Slightly less than 5,000 spectators came through the gates in
Featured this year were The Huber Mfg. Co.; the 110 Case was
back after an absence of two years, and an interesting showing of
horses and horse-drawn machinery under the direction of Frank
Briggs. We were able to show a nice 16 H.P. Huber Traction Engine,
as we paused to pay tribute to Edward Huber. The engine was shown
by its owners, Tom Weaver, and son, Nick. Willis Abel had the 110
Case in top condition and it featured on the fan. At one time, we
noted one of its former owners, Charlie Harrison, Fredericktown,
Ohio, doing an admirable job of putting it through its paces. We
might also add that Everett Hartely, of North Lima, Ohio, nearly
stole the show with his mule-powered cut-off saw. The mule’s
name is Hezekiah.
Our usual program of threshing and baling, sawing,
shingle-making, and flour and meal milling, continues to be our
favorite attractions. These operations were demonstrated several
times daily. Two daily parades of all engines, tractors, antique
cars and trucks, and horses received hearty applause. We are always
happy to welcome the beautiful Case models of Tom Hatcher &
Sons, and Earl Hamilton showed his new half-scale Case model.
The gas tractor and engines department surprised us, as
registrations far exceeded those of past years, and we had quite a
number of antique cars and trucks. Dean Redd showed and
demonstrated his Keystone Skimmer Shovel. Wheat flour and Corn meal
were ground on the site and sold, as was apple butter, which was
made right on the grounds.
Bill Burris arranged and presented the popular Old Fiddler’s
Contest on Friday evening, and he and his Green Valley Boys Band
entertained on Saturday noon and early evening, and played for the
annual square dance on Saturday evening.
Nello Mungai served us well as Show Manager and announced all
events. He was ably assisted by Craig Kern. Needless to say,
everything went along in a flawless manner. Hookstown Vol. Fire
Dept. members did an outstanding job of gate-keeping and parking of
cars. There was an abundant supply of good food from two sources on
The officers and directors of the Association are elated over
the apparent success of this 20th Annual exhibition, and the
possibility of a repeat performance for 1977 is almost assured.
They are most grateful for the continued support that is being
received from year to year.
Officers asre: Pres. Lester Lee; V-Pres. Craig Kern; Treas.
Evelyn Crow and Sec. Paul Crow. Directors are: John Sell, Thomas
Weaver, Fred Fischer, Glenn Fullerton, Joe Wallace, Vincent McKee,
William Mungai, Norman Colby and Sam Reed.
SOME INTERESTING NOTES ON EDWARD HUBER (1837-1904)
Edward Huber, founder of the Huber Mfg. Co., was a true
mechanics, who worked his way throughout life, by overcoming many
trying circumstances. He was, in turn blacksmith, wagon maker,
inventor and foremost respected citizen. At the time of his death,
he was mourned by the entire population of Marion, Ohio.
Early in his career, he invented his idea of a steam engine,
which proved to be successful. At that time it was realized that
the engine was to be an indispensible part of the equipment of a
modern farm. He firmly believed in the idea of a return flue
boiler, which had certain distinct advantages. He later developed
at least two types of double cylinder construction. The first may
have been that of connecting both rods to the same crank pin. Few
were made. He was successful with the type where twin cylinders
were placed side by side on top of his wide boiler. So that the
engine peoper must always be in perfect alignment, his engine’s
cylinder, bed plate and guide were all cast in one piece.
In 1880 he began the manufacture of a machine that would thresh,
clean and separate the grain and save it. It incorporated a
substantially constructed cylinder, set in a rigid frame and trued
up so it was in perfect balance. Internal moving parts were well
proportioned and balanced, eliminating any chance of excess
By 1900, Huber Co. was among the leaders in production of
engines and threshers. Their machines could be found throughout all
agricultural areas of the world.
Huber discontinued manufacturing engines and threshers around
1920. The last engine came off the line in 1921 and is now on
display in Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. Since that time,
they have made a good line of road machinery, rollers and graders,
Francis Huber, grandson of Mr. Huber, was still active in
affairs of the Company in recent years, having been Chairman of the
Decidedly, the Huber Co. must stand out as a valued contributor
to the agricultural and industrial development of the Nation during
the past century.
(Our thanks are extended to Iron-Men Album Magazine and
Stumptown Steamer for information we have used.)