The item Edward Hancock purchased (“Stirring the Pot,” page 4,
November 2004) is a fireplace fire-starter. The pot contains
kerosene and the porous rock on the handle is left in the pot to
soak. The lid probably has a notch at its edge to accommodate the
handle. To start a fire, the rock is placed under the logs and lit.
Once the logs are burning, the handle is used to pull out the rock
and place it to the side of the firebox where it can cool. Later,
the rock is returned to the pot, ready for the next use. These have
been in use for many years, and new ones (and replacement parts)
can be purchased at fireplace shops. They work extremely well, and
are attractive fireplace accessories.
– Mrs. George Sarver
P.O. Box 919
Latexo, TX 75849