Recognize This Star Feed Cutter?

Reader Contribution by Farm Collector
1 / 2
2 / 2

I recently purchased this feed cutter at a farm auction and I’m looking for information on it. The only identification is on the casting shown in the photo. I would like to know the name of the manufacturer and where the piece was made. Any other information would be appreciated as well.

It is a single-knife design. The unique part is all the mechanical engineering put into it. The rollers feed a length of stalk into the device, then it stops and the blade comes around and makes the cut. This is done through a system of ratcheting gears, pawls and connecting rods.

There is a lot of pinstriping on the piece but it was pretty faded. Nobody knew what product to use to restore the paint somewhat. The wood hardener that was applied did a fair job.

George Becker, N64 W12929 Mill Rd., Menomonee Falls, WI 53051; (262) 252-3187;

Farm Collector Magazine
Farm Collector Magazine
Dedicated to the Preservation of Vintage Farm Equipment