Jan 21 Harrow Question

Check out these reader letters about a mysterious piece of machinery.

article image

Could be an Ezee Tiller

Regarding the tool shown on Page 4 of the January issue of Farm Collector: This tool is what you called a clodbuster. My dad bought a new Ezee Tiller in June 1952. It is an Ezee-Flow product. I still have it in my tool shed. It was used behind a 3-bottom plow. A chain was put around the main beam of the plow at the lead bottom and a flat brace attached at the third bottom to push the clod buster out so it did not close the last furrow. I still have the original invoice dated June 3, 1952.

Richard Stuenkel, Monee, Illinois

Harrow used behind a moldboard plow

I believe that the picture of the odd machine on page 4 of the January 2021 issue of Farm Collector shows a harrow that was made to be pulled behind a moldboard plow.

I checked the internet for information about the Roller Harrow Mfg., Duluth, Minnesota, but did not find anything. So I am going strictly from memory, which is a little scary, but I am pretty sure I have seen similar units that were pulled behind a plow. And it appears that it can be flipped over onto the skids for transport to and from the field. 

Europeans still have “plow presses” that can be mounted on their plows, and there are some other simpler harrows that can be mounted on plows in this country. 

John Whitcraft, Bellingham, Washington

A primitive horse-drawn harrow

I have a harrow exactly like the one pictured. It was a primitive horse-drawn harrow. You are right: it was pulled to the field on the runners and then tipped over to operate much like a tiller. It is quite heavy, so to tip it, the horses might have been used from the side. I haven’t used it yet but intend to do so in the spring.

I am 86 years old and still collecting old implements.

Cliff Knutson, Fergus Falls, Minnesota

Might be a Swedish drag

My friend told me there was an item like a drag that needs an explanation. My dad had one when he used horses. A platform on top was used to hold weight (like rocks). Dad called it a Swedish drag. He used it to break up sod ground. It is still on my place, in the woods.

Paul Ryberg, Cambridge, Minnesota

Send letters to: Farm Collector Editorial, 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 • fax: (785) 274-4385 • email: editor@farmcollector.com • online at: www.farmcollector.com

Farm Collector Magazine
Farm Collector Magazine
Dedicated to the Preservation of Vintage Farm Equipment