29 W. High Street, St. Marys, Ohio 45885
Photo 1. James P. O’Toole shown in front of steam engine at
the O’Toole Brothers Monument Works, Liberty, Indiana. Frank
Perkins at the controls of the steam engine.
In the early 1920s the O’Toole Brothers Monument Works,
located in Liberty, Indiana, erected three large monuments at a
cemetery near Liberty. The Patterson family employed the
O’Toole Brothers to place the three stones in the cemetery.
The series of photos shows the work involved in hauling the
pieces of stone and erecting the monument. A steam engine, owned
and operated by Frank Perkins, was used to pull the many pieces of
stone to the site.
The photos and information were provided by Steven T.
O’Toole, grandson of James P. O’Toole, one of the original
owners. Steven is the current owner and operator of the O’Toole
Brothers Monument Works. The showroom remains much the same as when
it was constructed in 1914 and continues to serve as a monument