Norman Wride of Ada, Michigan, sends us this interesting article
(From Consumers Power News, Michigan, October 1959)
Tippy Dam –veteran Manistee River hydro-electric plant — has
been resurfaced and is back in operation.
The face of the dam was revealed last month for the first time
in more than 30 years when the water level in the pond was lowered
almost 15 feet. Workmen cleared away flaking concrete and then
resurfaced the structure.
Revealed when the water went down was a steam engine used in the
lumbering days to operate some long-forgotten sawmill. The engine
was found in the Pine River, which flows into the Manistee above
the dam. As the picture shows, the machine was in good condition
although it was believed to have been resting on the river bottom
for the past 40 years.
Tippy Dam was known as Junction Dam after its construction in
1918 at a point near where the south branch and the main branch of
the Manistee come together. It was re-named in 1934 shortly after
the death of c. W. Tippy, who was general manager and vice
president of the Company.
With a capacity of 20,000 kilowatts, Tippy Dam is the second
largest of the 32 hydro-electric units still operating.